Monday, February 1, 2016

Hiking In Washington : Things To Know

I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 4 Years. I love the fact that you can be standing on a mountaintop one day and be standing at the edge of the ocean the next day. 

I was shy to try hiking at first. It seemed like the people that did it were so hardcore and I felt like I wouldn't fit in or be the wheezy girl that had to "stop and take a breather" every three steps. Then I tried my first hike and saw the views from the top and realized why people fall in love with it. There's really nothing like it.
I would describe the level of hiking I do as average/medium. I love 3-7 Mile hikes, I don't have crazy equipment and I'm not someone who ventures into back-country (still working on my map-reading skills). Here are some things I've learned a long the way, if you are a first-time hiker or just want to try it out on vacation, these might be helpful for you.
  • Know Your Limits - Just because you saw an inspiring Instagram of a beautiful hike, doesn't mean you can always do it (right away). You need to know your skill level, what equipment it requires, and how much time you should set aside for it. You can still find really beautiful views that are within your skill-level.
  • Research - Washington Trails Association is a fantastic research tool if you are hiking in Washington. You can find hikes by region, features (i.e. waterfall, mountain top, wildflowers), and you can see trip reports if trees are down, there was a bear spotted, etc. It's also a great tool to know what level each hike is and if the hike is good for kids and pets.
  • Get A Permit - A lot of hikes require permits for parking or spending the night. The best info I've found on what permits you need is here.
  • Invest In Equipment - Ok, I know I just said I don't have a lot of equipment, but I do have some. The basics? If you are going to be hiking a lot in the Pacific Northwest you should have a good rain jacket, hiking boots, a water bottle, and a backpack.
  • Bring Food, But Pack It Out - When you get to the top of a hike, you need a pick-me-up. I usually bring fruit, granola bars, and some beef jerky. Be kind and pack out your trash. It's just the right thing to do.
  • Work Your Way Up - If there's a hike that you know will be harder for you, try working up to it by doing smaller length hikes first. There's no rush, and your body will be happy you did it!

No comments :

Post a Comment